Tips for Living Room Furniture Shopping
If you are shopping for a new sofa or couch, the Upholstered Furniture Action Council (UFAC) and the American Furniture Manufacturers Association make the following recommendations:
- Color will be the first element to which you respond.
- When you find a style that appeals to you, try it out for comfort.
- Bounce up and down on the cushions. Make sure it feels right (comfortable) to you.
- Wiggle the arms. Do they hold firm, indicating good workmanship?
- Lift the frame. Does it feel heavy and sturdy?
- Examine the fabric. Are the seams straight? Does the fabric line up properly? Does it feel pleasing to the touch?
- Check the price. Quality sofas are available in all price ranges.
- Measure it. You don't want the sofa to overwhelm your room, but you also don't want it to be dwarfed by other pieces.
- For fire safety reasons, look for the gold UFAC tag, indicating that the sofa manufacturer certifies it is made in accordance with UFAC methods designed to reduce the likelihood of upholstered furniture fires from smoldering cigarettes.
- After you've done all your checks, the most important thing is to follow your heart. If you love it, then it's right for you.
Additional Tips to help you shop for living room furniture
If you are decorating or remodeling your living room, The American Furniture Manufacturers Association makes the following recommendations for living room furniture shopping:
- First consider your lifestyle. Do you have children?
- Determine your budget.
- In addition to a sofa or other major seating piece, you'll probably also want a chair or two to accommodate guests.
- You will need occasional tables such as end tables and a cocktail table.
- An entertainment center or wall unit is a must for all the electronic equipment, TV, DVD, etc.
- Measure your space carefully to determine what furniture you can comfortably accommodate.
- Lamps are a must for a living room.
- Accessories are essential to put the finishing touch on your space.
- Most importantly, enjoy yourself.
Living Room Furniture Store
Whether you are looking for a sofa or an entire living room furniture group, VanDrie Home Furnishings stores are the finest in Michigan. We have all of today's living room styles. Whether you are looking for contemporary, country, country French, modern, antique, arts and craft, Italian, mission, retro, rustic, southwestern, traditional, tropical, Victorian, western, casual, formal, elegant, fabric, fine, funky, or luxury, we've got your style. We offer the largest selection of reclining furniture sets, chairs, chaise lounges, love seats and occasional furniture. We feature sofas of every type and size, including convertible, corner, couches, denim, microfiber, modular, pillows, leather, recliner, sectional, sectional sleeper, small sectional, sleep, sleeper, twin sleeper, sofa bed, and, upholstered living room groups. We can help you decorate and design your living room,. We can assist you in creating custom design furnishings. Our home furniture designers will help you find, layout, place your furniture and come up with placement ideas and groupings to create the perfect living space in your home. Some of our brand name family room and living room furniture manufacturers include: Berkline, Broyhill, Lazy Boy, Ashley, and Klaussner. At VanDrie you can rest assured that we offer discounted prices so you can save money. You won't find a better sale price on furniture than at VanDrie. Our furniture is affordable and our prices are inexpensive for the kind of quality we offer.